From Russia with love

August 23, 2009
Busy 2 weeks indeed. Had a lot of things to do and not nearly enough time to do them :( During the first weekend I was busy running around making plans for the rest of my stay. Handed in papers for my new passport, fixed my sandals and bought a new handbag <3

As soon as the new week began I headed out to our summer house to do some painting. Was easy and got help from Andrey (who was nice enough to come with, even though he had the flu), but as soon as we were done with the first layer - there was a storm. It was pouring down for four days straight! And although I got to meet up with my brother and my two oldest friends, after thursday I gave up waiting for the sun and went back into town.

Tried to squeeze in some cultural stuff, but failed as all the theaters were either closed or fully booked. Had three good, rainless days where I didn't get soaked as soon as I walked out the door, and used those to 1) walk around town and eat sushi *love*, 2) travel out to the nearest island "Kranstadt" that was used as a fort during the two world wars keeping the enemy away from our shores, and 3) to collect my passport and meet up with people I had no time for earlier in the week.

I really liked Kranstadt. I'd never been to a fort before and Julia (a friend of Andrey who lives there) was kind enough to show us around. We saw all the main sites, drove around on rollerblades *DESTROY now and never look at again*, and klimbed the fort walls. The day was nearly perfect (except for the fact that we didn't get into any of the museums and that those rollerblades made me hate the world, my life and the certain someone who thought it would be a good idea to scate around town).

Meeting the family was good too. I'm glad my father stayed away though, don't think I'd be able to handle him. Was a pity that I didn't have more time so I never got to meet my other brother or my granfather, but at least I now have a motivation to come back sooner.


I'm glad everything turned out the way it did. Even if it means that life will be more complicated.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails