Some general observations

September 12, 2010
As you very well know, this summer I went on InterRail with my best friend Ingrid. During this month we visited 13 European countries, stayed at 19 different hostels, saw 17 cities, went to about a 1000 museums and never stayed anywhere for more than 5 days. I kept a diary all through this immense journey and now I want to share some of my experiences with you. I am, of course, not planning to re-write my whole diary on my blog (I mean, come on...I need to preserve at least a bit of privacy), however I will summarise the days in "some general observations" for each country. So here goes the first one:

Some general observations about Amsterdam:

- The city has a very distinctive smell. A kind of interesting blend of weed and piss.
- The alleys are filled with some dodgy shops
- It's an island
- People live in houses built on the river
- There are far more bicycles than cars, hence you are more likely to get hit by a biker
- You are expected to know the art of walking through walls as various signs point directly into one
- No real concept of winning and loosing (we were there the day after Holland lost in the World Cup and there were a 1000 fans all in orange celebrating the team's homecoming)
- Getting lost between the channels is a piece of cake as everywhere looks the same
- Awesome parks

3 comments:

Kess said...

Fair observations! I visited Amsterdam 3 years ago, and noticed some of the things on your list! Did you see the multi-storey cycle parks?

Dreaming said...

Oh yes I did see one near the train station!

Rainbow said...

hahaha walkin thru walls.... funi :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails