The Best of Times

September 27, 2009
Guess what?! Yesterday I went to the Dream Theater concert :D They were absolutely fantastic! I managed to sneak my way to the very front and I could therefore see everything.

Just to give you all an idea of how close I was standing ;)

The view was terrific - John Petrucci (the guitarist) was standing right in front of me playing on the strings of my soul. Right behind him the massive drum set was taking up half of the stage and Mike Portnoy, it seems, was drumming to the beat of my heart. On the other side of the stage Jordan Rudess' magic hands were flying across the keyboard and John Myung's base was spreading from my stomach to the very tips of my fingers and toes. I felt completely in sync with the music, and was one with the lyrics sung by the great James LaBree. It was AWSOME, to say the least.

A criminally bad picture of the whole band where you can't even see Portnoy (he was hiding behind the drum set)

Although the concert started at 18.30, DT didn't appear on stage until about 21.45 and the time in between was filled with warm up bands - Unexpect, Big Elf and Opeth. Unexpect was way to noisy for my taste, Big Elf made a great impression and I think I might even start listening to them, but by the time Opeth came on my feet and back were killing me because I was still standing in the 2nd row, so I didn't really enjoy them that much.

Rudess, Petrucci and Portnoy. My favourite trio :D

None of it mattered when Dream Theater went on. As I pushed myself to the very front, Petrucci, Myung and Rudess came out, the curtain behind them fell down, and the whole room exploded with cheers. I clambered myself to the rail, receiving the evil eye from those standing beside me and though to myself: "The only way you're gonna get me away from this spot is by carrying away my copse, otherwise I wont budge an inch. I'm here to stay!"

Playing "The Count of Tuscany"

They opened with "A Nightmare to Remember" and my heart filled with joy. The next few songs were from different albums, which was genius because it meant that I could sing till my throat got sore (which I did...and then I sang some more ;p). I almost cried when they played "One last Time", Petrucci looked me right in the eye while I was singing along to "In the name of God", and I screamed my heart out to "Prophets Of War", "A rite of Passage" and "Solitary shell". I don't even remember what other songs they played, lol, I was in a state of complete ecstasy! They finished off with "The Count of Tuscany" and sadly cut it very short :(

After the concert I bought myself a new t-shirt.



And a scarf...just because I wanted to ;P



Oh, and here's a little solo from the best guitarist in the whole world - John Petrucci


PS: Please excuse the very bad quality and the fact that it's the wrong way. It was hard to hold the camera and I don't know how to turn the video *angel eyes*

4 comments:

Aina said...

SV: faktisk ikke, fordi vi sto på andre rad, så vi ble most og da holdt venninna mi på å svime av så jeg måtte løpe på do med hu og skaffe hu vann siden de hadde stengt kiosketingen og ikke ville gi oss vann^^.

Tom Hewitt said...

Sounds like a pretty good gig, not appreciating the lack of love for Opeth though...

Dreaming said...

It's not lack of love...I was just completely worn out and tired from work and the previous day.

David said...

Hello Stasie,
This is David meet on the House Party.
You went to see Dream Theater on september, how cool is that. The drummer Mike is one of my fav drummer!! I would love see them live one day. Where did you go to see them?

Related Posts with Thumbnails