Working 9 to 5, what a way to make a living!

July 15, 2009
Except for the fact that I'm working 8 to 4 :) Oh yes, you read it...I got a job. I'm working in a food store, just a 7 min walking distance away from home. The money is good and the work isn't too hard, so I'm highly pleased about it.

My first day (which was yesterday) was very good, even though I was comepletely lost and didn't know what to do or where everything is. One of my superiors, Elisabeth, showed me around and helped me adapt :) I like her. Most people there are very nice, except for the evil EVIL box man (I was unpacking loads of boxes and putting everything in place, and each time I was nearly done with unpacking all the boxes in one aile, this guy Roy showed up with more boxes :S). I cut my finges while opening those boxes and I had trouble lifting and carrying the flour, but it was otherwise OK. All the time I was talking to Dace, she's lithuanian and she speaks russian, so it was great! Basically the day was all bliss untill I had to sit behind the counter. I've never sat behind the counter, and although everything pretty much goes on autopilot (you just have to scan the products) there are loose weight items and baked goods that don't have a barcode. There are seperate codes for those products, codes that you have to remember by heart...aka codes I don't know :( So I have to either shout across the room to Michael (who sists at the other counter) or have someone stand beside me at all times to tell me these codes. PAIN!! But otherwise it's fine.

Today however I didn't do much besides occupying the counter, and allthough I've learnt how to find codes for the groseries, I have to know the name of them to find it. You would think it to be an easy task, except for - it's not. Thing is that all the baked stuff have weird names and I have no clue what they are, so each time I get something from the bakery I have to ask the customer what it is they are trying to buy (very embarrasing and it takes time to find the code, so while I'm trying to figure stuff like that out the customers gets annoyed and the line becomes huge). Another thing about sitting behind the counter is that it kills your back and makes your mouth dry from asking everyone how they are, if they'd like a bag and if they want the receipt. Well, at least it's not boring, and I got to annoy one of my co-workers Martin for the whole day, lol, he was stuck with me (standing beside me at the counter or having me follow him around the store. Not my fault thought :D I'm still in training)

More work tomorrow. 8 till 4 again, although I'm not complaining cause I'd rather be working that shift in stead of the one from 11 to 7. That's when the worst crowd comes. Also stinks that I can't stay long at Ingrid's now, because of work. But hey, at least I'm not wasting my holidays anymore, weeee :D

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails